Tourist Police is a special unit of the Nepal Police, which works under the Department of Tourism. The main office is located at Tourist Service Center, Bhrikutimandap, and Kathmandu. There are also complaint counters at the Airport and Basantapur Durbar Square. The unit works exclusively to ensure pleasant stay of tourists, and mitigate and solve any safety and security related issues that could hinder a tourist from an enjoyable trip.
The main function and responsibility of Tourist Police is to look after the welfare of tourist and to assure them a memorable stay in Nepal. They also advise and assist tourist in safety and security during traveling, trekking, rafting and hotel stay in any part of Nepal.
ACTIVITIES OF TOURIST POLICE
Daily patrolling within the tourist areas in Kathmandu valley.
Operation of Tourist Police offices in different areas including Airport (TIA) and Basantapur.
Operation of Tourist Police offices in Pokhara and Sunauli. It will also be expanded to other parts of Nepal in future.
Quick action and investigation when there is any complaint from tourists.
Provision of necessary information on travel security.
Ensuring hassle free trip by keeping hawkers, beggars and street children away from tourist.
Assisting tourist whenever need arises.
Logo of Tourist Police
DO’S & DON’TS
- Respect the law of the land.
- Respect local customs, religion and cultural norms and values.
- Always use authorized tourist bus.
- Don’t forget to ask for tickets and do keep it safe.
- Always use Government authorized travels, trekking and rafting agencies.
- Use of narcotics in Nepal is illegal, so don’t get involved in any kinds of drugs transactions.
- Take care of your belongings properly. Never leave them unattended at any time and any place.
- In case of loss, theft, cheating, robbery or any other crime against you, never hesitate to contact Tourist Police immediately. If not, please do contact the Local Police nearby.
- If possible take photo of the registration plate of the vehicle you use.
- Please contact the bus service provider directly for your ticket. If you purchase the ticket from other agencies please be sure to obtain all the necessary information before using their services to avoid the subsequent problems.
- Use authorized porters from your travel and trekking agencies.
- Exchange foreign currencies only at Government authorized banks or money exchange counters and beware of the pickpockets.
- Always carry certified copies of your documents like passport or ID card and please leave the originals along with the valuables in the safe deposit of your hotel.
TOURIST POLICE OFFICES
Bhrikutimandap (inside the premises of Nepal Tourism Board)
Mangal Bazar, Patan
Janaki Mandir, Dhanusha